My first jumpsuit – New Look 6493


             Last month I took advantage of the sales that sewessential had so I bought a few sewing patterns that I had my eye on for ages! Some of them are new releases while a few of them are older. I still want to buy more but I try to be nice and restrain myself.


            As soon as I received my parcel from sewessential, I wanted to make the New Look 6493 (NL6493)! This was the first time for me that I used NL’s sewing pattern.


           The NL6493 is a jumpsuit and a dress pattern along with a sports brallet pattern. Specifically, view A is the sports brallet, view B is a maxi dress, view C is a mini dress, view D is a culottes jumpsuit and view E is a short jumpsuit. The bodice has princess seams at the front and it is faux wrapped both at the front and at the back. There is also an option for you to make a belt (to tie around the elasticated waistband) for all of the dress/jumpsuit versions.

           I made view D, the culottes jumpsuit.

             I choose this lovely floral viscose fabric which I bought from a fabric shop in Athens. I was on a search for a beautiful fabric to send to Alison, along with the one that she kindly requested for. In case you don’t know Alison, you should check her Instagram feed! She makes adorable things and is so inspirational! I had bought 2,5m of the fabric having this exact sewing pattern in my mind. I bet that I will have leftover fabric from this project in order to make a cami but trust me there isn’t any fabric left. With Indie patterns I usually feel like I have a lot of leftover fabric! Do you feel the same?


            As a newbie with NL pattern, I didn’t know several things about them, that I will share with you later in this blogpost. Firstly, I chose my size according to the measurements on the envelope of the pattern. That way, when I was tracing the pants I realised that the pants pattern piece had written the finished measurements of the pattern on them! *dramatic music* The size that I had chosen would turn out HUGE on me. I immediately stopped tracing the pattern pieces, I took a few deep breaths and after a while, I started tracing this time the correct size. I chose size 10 for the Bust and size 12 for the Waist and the Hips. I think that is way more convenient to have the measurements outside the envelope. Or maybe I’m just used this way. Also, the finished measurements of the Bust were nowhere to be found.

            I would also like to mention that a few pattern pieces, like the tie belt and the straps, have 1cm seam allowances. When I traced these pieces, I didn’t trace that detail so I had to check the pattern pieces again before I started. Totally my fault. The good thing is that in the instruction it is written where you should use 1cm seam allowances. Did I mention that the instructions were VERY CLEAR? I didn’t have any issue during the construction of the garment.


          I really liked the construction of the pocket. I found it clever and I enjoyed that it is made out of one piece instead of two like most pockets.

         I did a few alterations though. I found the finished length of the jumpsuit quite long for my height (1,69m) so I removed 5,5cm from the hem. Then I found it quite short – hahaha – and as a result, I hem the jumpsuit by turning the hem 1 cm twice (2cm in total) and stitched it. Finally, I realized that the cleavage was revealing for my taste so I secured the front and the back bodice pieces by stitching them down.

          I’m soo in love with my new jumpsuit! I love how it fits. It is a
really adorable pattern, easy to follow instructions and easy to make. I
enjoy wearing it and try to do so as often as I can.

The only thing I would like to mention is that even though I secured the front and back pieces together separately the cleavage area is still quite revealing. So if you are not fond of low front bodices, you may have to wear the jumpsuit with a brallet or a little top underneath (that is why the pattern comes with a brallet!).

              It was such a beautiful, bright and shinny the day that we took the photos! We went to the park (my husband, our baby boy and me) and we had a lot of fun! It is funny that my husband tries to help me to take some spontaneous pictures!

SUMMARY Sewing pattern: New Look 6493

Size:10 (BUST) graded at size 12 (WAIST & HIPS)
Fabric: 2,5m of this floral fabric bought from a store in Athens, Greece
Notions: ~0.80cm of 1cm wide elastic
Alterations: I removed 5,5cm from the hem. I stitched down front and back bodice pieces separately
Total cost: ~19 euros (plus the cost of the pattern which was ~5.5 euros – on the sales)

Make another one: Yes! I would love to make a short version!

Until next time,
Happy sewing!!
Written By
More from Argyro K

#monetaparty (hacked/ buttonup Moneta)

          Today is the first day of the Moneta party which is...
Read More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *